- 4 tablespoons from Olives & Grapes 100% pure Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion very finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 can tomatoes with juice 28 ounces
- 1/2 cup Romano or parmesan cheese.
- 3-4 large basil leaves chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil to medium-low in saucepan.
- Add onion and cook until translucent, 5 - 8 minutes.
- Add red wine and stir until the alcohol has evaporated, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cheese and stir well.
- Simmer uncovered 20 - 30 minutes.
- Add basil and cook 5 minutes more.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Makes 4 cups.