- grated zest and juice of one lemon
- grated zest and juice of one orange
- cup ¾Blood Orange or Meyer Lemon Olive Oil
- 1 cup Sugar
- teaspoon ¼salt
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 1/2 cups semolina
- 1 cup ground almonds tightly packed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon almond essence
- 1 teaspoon orange flower water
- 1/4 cup Cointreau or Grand Marnier
- One round springform cake pan 9-inch diameter, lightly oiled and lined with parchment.
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Reserve a little of the grated lemon and orange zest and put the remainder in a bowl with the oil, sugar, salt, orange and lemon juice, and eggs.
- Beat together with a whisk until light and fluffy and doubled in volume.
- Sieve the semolina and baking powder into a second bowl and add the ground almonds.
- Fold the almond essence and orange flower water into the egg mixture.
- Pour all at once into the dry ingredients, fold together, but do not over mix. Spoon into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Sprinkle the reserved lemon and orange zest over the top.
- Bake near the top of the oven for 40-45 minutes or until pale gold at the edges and firm in the middle.
- A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for about 10 minutes.
- Drizzle the liqueur over the top.
- Push the cake out, still on the loose metal base, and let cool on a wire rack for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the base and paper.
- Serve in 8 to 12 wedges, warm or cooled.
- Do not refrigerate.
- Serves 8-12.
- The cake will keep in an airtight container for up to 4 days.